Monday, December 07, 2015

Covet Monday - Something Apple

No, I still can't cook. But I'm slowly working my way through the apples I picked off our apple tree a couple of weeks ago.

So far I had done an apple crumble and an apple cake, which has some room for improvement. But I still had about 7kg of apples left. So next on the list was to try something that would preserve the apples for a bit longer. Apfelmus, a popular German pudding and common rosti accompaniment, is kind of like apple sauce but a bit sweeter and flavoured with cinnamon. I didn't want to do just that so had a good rummage online and found a slightly more rustic version. Described as "apple jam", I adjusted the recipe a bit and think it's really more of a compote. (Unfortunately I just jotted the recipe down and now can't find it. So apologies to the cook who created this for not crediting you.)

Ingredients
2.5kg apples (after chopping)
500g sugar
juice from 1 lemon
cinnamon

1. Cut apples, core and chop into chunks. As per the recipe, I didn't peel them first. This is part of the rustic appeal of this recipe.


 2. Put apples into a large pot and add about half of the sugar. Leave to stand for a few hours.


3. Cook on a medium heat and add the rest of the sugar and lemon juice.
 
4. Cook for approx. 1 hour. Stir frequently. Puree with a blender if desired.

  
5. Add cinnamon to taste. Fill into sterilised jars.



As I said, the recipe described this as apple jam, but I can't really see myself eating this on my toast. I think it's more of a compote, so it'll be eaten with Kartoffelpuffer (German style rosti) or as a desert. 

Do you have a favourite recipe for preserving apples?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...