Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Wardrobe Spy


I don't have a huge amount of precious jewellery. Just a couple of little silver pieces and a gold & garnet necklace and ring passed down to me by my grandmother. I do wear these items usually at special or family occasions. Or when I have a day, where I need that extra bit of luck.

I do, however, have quite a big collection of costume jewellery. So much so, that I had to come up with a system: long-ish items get hung on nails, which I affixed to the inside of my wardrobe.*




*note: if you do this, make sure there is enough space between your clothes and the hooks and pick nails/hooks that won't snag delicate fabric!

Smaller items get stored in clear muji boxes.




But even though I do have all of those, I tend to go back to the same few pieces and I'd probably divide them into two groups.

Plastic Fantastic
  • Black scroll necklace, blue & red bows, cream dog broach and the silver star all from Zarah Voigt.(I discovered her a few years ago when wandering through Copenhagen. She did some pieces, which could definitely be referred to as Tatty-Devine-esque, though I am not sure, who came first.)
  • Turquoise rose ring and peach bauble necklace from Primark. 
  • Bambi, see-through beads and chain necklace from Topshop.






Love Metallics
  • The collier with the green velvet ribbon is from Ligia Dias.
  • Bronze collier with pink leather band from a little stall in Covent Garden (sorry, little stall, I forgot...).
  • Flower-borach from Zarah Voigt.
  • The multi strand/multi colour necklace is from Accessorize. (see me wear it here)
  • I think the semi-precious necklace was from Pandora.
  • Mixed bauble necklace from Miss Selfridge.
  • Chain necklace from Topshop.






I usually probably under- rather than over-accessorize (sometimes I am simply in such a rush that I, shock-horror!, forget in the morning) and I don't have a hard-and-fast rule for which piece I wear with what. I do like to contrast accessories with the clothes I wear though, so I might put on a girly dress and pair an industrial looking necklace with it. (Dad: "Are those washers in your necklace?!" Me: "That's Ligia Dias, Dad!") In that very same way I might combine a pretty, girly necklace with a laid-back outfit.

But then again I might wake up tomorrow and just grab something that completely contradicts the above...



1 comment:

  1. Wow that's an amazing collection of jewellery! Some lovely pieces there and I love how you've stored them. Thanks for your comment on my blog and thank you for following, I'm following back :) x

    http://gach-rud-emma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...