Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Oscars - Hit and almost no Miss

Ok, so I am rather late: more than 24 hours after the red-carpet-fest and everybody has given their opinion, evaluation and judgement of who was hot and who not.

White was without a doubt the colour of the night. So that much about my verdict about pastels at the Oscars'...

Anyway, here is my hit & miss list!

My top 5:

Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford
Elegant. Effortless. That cape looks so glam yet relaxed, like she nonchalantly threw her boyfriends jacket over her shoulders. And did you notice that there are absolutely no visible lines of any type of undergarment?! Covered up but oh so sexy!
 








                                                 




Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton
I think reds are always a bit of a risk for blondes but this coral is so flattering on her skintone, making her look freshfaced and young. The ruffles and the peplum are fun, the shape classy and elegant, the backless detail adds a bit of tongue in cheek sexy and she's got it spot on with the accessories. Some fashionistas might shoot me but she reminds me of a younger, contemporary version of Pretty Woman's Vivian in *that* red dress.



Octavia Spencer in Tadashi Shoji
Ultimately flattering, making her look curvy and glamorous. Makes girls like me wish we had curves like that!



















Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad
I won't even go on about that breathtaking cleavage. For that alone, I think the dress has the chance of becoming a remember-forever dress like that Versace Jungle Dress. But her shape, emphasised by the sculptural lines (very art deco) makes her look like a statue. 



Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen
Exquisite. Hand-embroidered. Opulent. Makes me think of dresses you normally only get to see at the V&A. But more flattering.




...and my bottom 5 ...
Although I have to say that there were no real howlers, the following five are just my least favourite. Most mere mortals would be more than happy to scrub up this well...

Penelope Ann Miller in Badgley Mischka
When interviewed on the carpet she said she had some input into the design. Hm. Just too pedestrian and blah for me...

Sandra Bullock in Marchesa
It just looks all wrong on the front. Not fitted enough. Backless can be done a lot better.



Angelina Joli in Atelier Versace
Slit on the thigh? Tick. Black velvet? Tick.  Yes, her figure looks great but just a shame she turned up in such a cookie cutter dress. And black. Again.


Viola Davis in Vera Wang
Plus: shape, colour, detailing. Minus: strangely shiny, weird ruffles, and  am not a fan of that pushed up cleavage. Dated.

Stacy Keibler in Marchesa
Oops, another Marchesa. I heard people mention "she looks like an Oscar statue" - and that's a good thing?! And what's with that flower/flourish thing?


Special mentions:

These three were not very high-profile (think Diane wasn't even on the red carpet) but I just love them.

Diane Kruger in Calvin Klein
Elegant from afar. So sexy close up.

Milla Jovovich in Elie Saab
When I saw her at the very beginning, I thought that was it. We've peaked. Just beautiful.

Kristen Wiig in J. Mendel
The naked dress gone classy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...