Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I think I was too young when Twin Peaks came out...

...to be really interested. Well, maybe I just wasn't interested because I had other stuff to do.

Anyway, yesterday evening I started watching Twin Peaks with a friend for the first time. I thought I'd pretty much know what to expect: strange people in a strange town talking to each other backwards. Well, maybe not exactly, but I certainly expected a high level of weirdness and generally characters being out of touch with reality most of the time. I wasn't quite sure if it was going to be "good and interesting weird" or just "haven't got a clue what's going on weird".
I also remembered the combination of Lynch and MacLachlan in Blue Velvet and hoped that it would be nothing like it because I found BV tediously boring and thought that it was one of the most overrated films ever.

Anyway, I wasn't sure whether I was going to enjoy it, whether Lynch went a bit OTT and whether it was going to be one of those pretentious "you had to be there" dramas. But I got to say that so far I enjoyed it immensely and thankfully it did *not* remind me of Blue Velvet. It actually reminded me a lot of Desperate Housewives and a number of other more recent films/dramas/series, which might be a coincidence but I guess that Lynch has inspired some of the younger filmmakers.

I think we watched the pilot and the first 2 episodes after that and now I am eagerly anticipating the next installment. Cooper just informed us at the end of the last episode that he knew who the killer was (ha! and there was one of those famous dreams!) but considering that there are still quite a few CDs left I assume he is either going to be wrong or he won't tell us for a while.

Tonight is Desperate Housewives night though (last episode of series 1!) so it will probably be a few days before I find out more.... what a sad life I must lead ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...